Poorly documented? Don’t mind if I do! Today I have for you something I’ve always wanted to build, and finally did: A functional big damn knife switch. The sort that is generally referred to with the phrase “Throw The Switch!” just before something high voltage and squishy occurs. I only took 5 pictures of this one, so I just labeled them. This switch, as so many past things, was a prop for the Science Musical.
||STEP 1: Cut a hole in a box
STEP 2: Get a different box you sicko. A wooden one a little wider and roughly twice as tall as your intended switch.
STEP 3: Be a stupid jerk named kaz
||The “form” parts
- Bent a strip of aluminum into a switch shape
- Attach a fat plastic pen to use as a handle
- Attach the ends of the switch to a pair of itty bitty L-brackets, with some bolts (put some rubber washers between the brackets and the switch ends to give it some intertia.
- bolt the L-brackets to the box
|The “function” parts
- Rip a 15A 125V cherry switch out of your microwave along with its housing
- Glue some wood or plastic onto the switch pusher to increase the surface area
- OK, NOW you put a hole in the box, but just a small one (shut up K) that will match up with the bit of wood when the switch is attached to the inner wall of the box. The point of this is that poking a stick through the hole will briefly activate the switch.
- Attach the switch and housing inside the box with glue or screws or whatever.
- Get a small L-shaped piece of metal and bolt it to the handle of the fake switch such that when the fake switch is flush with the box, the piece of metal pokes through the hole and holds the switch down.
- Now you have a switch. Wire it up and use it.
- Also, Rigamarock’s name is shitty
- No it isn’t, Kaz is a fag